The village of Stanford was founded in 1857 and named after its founder, Sir Robert Stanford who owned the original farm. Situated in the heart of the Overberg, Stanford is known for its beautifully preserved and renovated Cape Victorian and Edwardian styled houses and buildings. The village as a whole was declared a Heritage Site and in 1992 the Stanford Conservation Trust was formed to ensure the protection and conservation of the environment and heritage resources in and around Stanford. The work of the Trust ensured that Stanford remains the 3rd most preserved village in the Western Cape.
Located on the banks of the Klein River, Stanford is known to host over 200 different bird species of which 30 are endemic to South Africa. Some of the top attractions of Stanford including the 100-year-old Stanford Hotel (www.stanfordvillage.co.za), river cruises on the Klein River, bird watching, kayaking and beer- and wine tasting at the local wine estates and Birkenhead Brewery.