The first suburb to be built in Akasia is The Orchards. The Orchards was established as a residential township in 1904 and an old Dutch-Reformed church was in the center of the neighborhood. As the city of Pretoria grew in light of industrial expansion in the 1960s more houses were constructed in the northern semi-rural holdings today known as Akasia.
The turning point in the urban development of Akasia was the establishment of the Rosslyn industrial complex in the early 1970s. Rosslyn became a significant industrial complex, housing large industrial corporations such as Nampak, BMW, South African Breweries and Nissan. With the growth of the manufacturing complex came a need for a large skilled and semi-skilled workforce nearby and by the late 1970s the small agricultural holdings in the area were being purchased and transformed into residential offerings with tree lined streets and green parks. The town attained municipal status in 1984, before losing it as part of the post-apartheid reorganisation of local governments, and being incorporated into the City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality.
With a success in the sale of housing in The Orchards, there was a plan to build more similar suburban style houses for the large population of artisans and technicians. Soon suburbs such as Karenpark, Amandasig, Theresapark, Ninapark, Clarina, Hesteapark, Flourana, and Chantelle were built.